20 Unique Things To Do In New York (from a Native)
New York is one of those cities that you could visit a million times and still find something you haven’t experienced yet.
There’s always somewhere new popping up, whether it’s a restaurant or a museum or something so wacky you don’t even know what to call it.
When looking at guides or “must-see” lists for New York City, there’s the standard listicle of attractions that every first-time visitor wants to experience, and that’s totally okay. Have you really even been to NYC if you didn’t see the Statue of Liberty or walk through the mob scene of Times Square?
But if this is your second (or third or fourth) visit to NYC, try some of these unique attractions and activities and get a new perspective of the Big Apple.
Here are a few of my favorite, under-the-radar things to do in New York City. Trust me, I’m a local ;)
- Rent a rowboat at the Loeb Boathouse Central Park
- Graffiti Tour in Brooklyn
- Sleep-No-More (check out my experience here)
- FlyNYON Doorless Helicopter Tour
- Trapeze School
- Enjoy a beer (or 5) on Stone Street
- The Cloisters
- Drink at a speakeasy (take your pick!)
- Aire Ancient Baths
- Brooklyn Flea
- and a stop at Smorgasburg!
- Make your own chocolate in Red Hook
- Natural Gourmet Institute’s Friday Night Chef Dinners
- Explore Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm
- North River Lobster Company
- Vacant Smallpox Hospital Ruins on Roosevelt Island (Extra points if you ride the tram there!)
- Rooftop Cinema Club
- Learn to make pizza (or macarons, or dumplings!) with CocuSocial
- Hayden Planetarium (at the Natural History Museum)
- Let some aggression out at The Wrecking Club
Have any other suggestions of unique thing to do in NYC? Let me know in the comments! xx